ACE Update - July 2018
Dear ACE Colleagues,The countdown to annual conference is on. In a little more than a week, we’ll be in the midst of renewing friendships, meeting new people, and enhancing our skills and knowledge. If you haven’t registered, not to worry! You can still register onsite.
I want to use this final column to thank some other special people.First, Learning Community (LC) Leaders. You are the heartbeat of our organization. You are in touch with what members want regarding professional development, and you deliver that through webinars, conference calls and input into annual conference proposals. Thank you to:
• Academic and Research LC: Kelsey Hall, Courtney Gibson, Lisa Lundy, Jessica Holt, and Laura FischerThe Learning Communities will be seeking new leadership. Attend one of their meetings, and see how you can become more involved.
• Diversity LC: Leilana McKindra, Blair Hess, and Maurice Perkins
• Electronic Media and Photography LC: Scott Swanson, Susan Hutton, and David Keto
• Instructional Design and IT LC: Terrence Wolfork and Alan Dennis.
• Leadership and Management LC: Beth Steuver, LaRachelle Smith, and Sarah Lupis.
• Marketing LC: Melissa McGinnis.
• Media Relations and Writing LC: Sean Corp, James Thigpen, and Beverly James.
• Publishing and Graphic Design LC: Melea Reicks-Licht.
• Social Media LC: Suzanne Street, Stacey Stearns, and Lindsey Davidson.
Thank you to the planning committee for the 2018 conference. This team navigated the challenges inherent when taking a new approach. They successfully collaborated with the Ag Media Summit folks and have planned a great experience for us all: Martha Filipic and Lori Greiner, co-chairs; Brian Meyer, Ed Adcock, Maggie Lawrence, Susan McGinley, Robert Casler, Donna Sheffield, ChaNae Bradley, Kelsey Hall, Victor Villegas, and Beth Forbes.
Thank you to the ACE Board of Directors, including outgoing and incoming officers and directors. These are the people responsible for keeping ACE humming. They set policy and direction for the organization and facilitate professional development, research, marketing, member relations, retiree relations, and learning communities. They manage the Critique and Awards program and play a big role in annual conferences.
• Elizabeth Gregory North, President-elect, Mississippi State UniversityFinally, a huge thank you to Holly Young, who has served ACE in so many ways. She began as Executive Director in 2011, served as treasurer from 2009-2011 and was ACE President from 2002-2003. She has served on the Development Fund committee for professional development grants since its inception, and served as its chair for about 15 years. She also served as Northeast Director and received the Pioneer Award. There aren’t many who have given to ACE as willingly and effectively as Holly. Thank you!
• Doug Edlund, Vice President, University of Tennessee
• Jennifer Alexander, Vice President-elect, Oregon State University
• Steve Miller, Past President, University of Wyoming
• Janet Rodekohr, Retirees Director
• Linda Benedict, Retirees Director-elect, Louisiana State University Ag Center
• Mary Wirth, Learning Community Director, Pennsylvania State University
• Lori Greiner, Learning Community Director-elect, Virginia Cooperative Extension
• Victor Villegas, Professional Development Director, Oregon State University
• Craig Woods, Professional Development Director-elect, Oklahoma State University
• Lauri Baker, Research Director, Kansas State University
• Lulu Rodriguez, Research Director-elect, University of Illinois
• Dennis Thomas, Marketing Director, Kentucky State University
• Matt Browning, Marketing Director-elect, West Virginia State University
• Beth Forbes, Membership Director, Purdue University
• Tobie Blanchard, Membership Director-elect, Louisiana State University Ag Center
• Becky Koch, Treasurer, North Dakota State University
• Donna Sheffield, Development Officer, Kansas State University
As you can see, there are a lot of people behind ACE. I invite you to get involved. Drop me a note, and we can talk about how to do that. And thanks for being a member!
And if you listen real hard, you can hear a brass band tuning up and heading to Scottsdale. We have an amazing milestone to acknowledge during the ACE conference. Thanks to his question, we discovered Bob Kern has been a member of ACE for 65 years! Congratulations, Bob! You deserve a brass band, a bottle of bubbly and all the trimmings. Thank you for your dedication to ACE and for all the people you brought to ACE and the agricultural communications field.
25 Years: Robert Casler
30 Years: Elaine Edwards and Martha Filipic
35 Years: Dan Rahn and Ellen Maurer
45 Years: Garvin Quinn, Anita Povich and Gene Hettel
50 Years: Jack Sperbeck
65 Years: Bob Kern
Copyright © 2018 Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences. All rights reserved.