ACE Update – February 2018
Dear Ace Colleagues,
I am officially excited for our Ag Media Summit annual conference,
Committee chairs Martha Filipic and Lori Greiner and their team have pulled together an exceptional experience for all of us. A few of the highlights:
- Fernanda Santos from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University will be our Gary Hermance speaker. A New York Times reporter, she has covered wildfires and will also present a breakout session on communicating about disasters.
- Our post-conference diversity session with Dawn Gilpin, also with the Walter Cronkite School, will help us better communicate with diversity in mind.
- Our awards banquet will return to its “classic” version, an evening banquet and ceremony.
- We will honor outgoing Executive Director Holly Young, and meet our new management company, Celtic.
- The location hotel is beautiful, convenient and has lots of fun options.
Looking forward to seeing all of you!
Suzanne Steel, ACE President
If you received a notice in recent months that your annual ACE membership dues are past due, then you have little time left to renew. Starting in May, we will deactivate the records of persons who have not renewed their memberships for this year. This gives you two more months before you must renew.
I hope that you will take the time to renew your commitment to ACE, your premier organization for professional development and networking opportunities. If you can’t renew right now, you can still renew membership with your annual conference registration this year as well. For all the benefit that ACE brings to many of us, it is important that we fund the organization. Membership dues are a large part of how we ensure that ACE remains strong and viable.
ACE Membership Director
If you are thinking of taking part in the first-ever Ag Media Summit combination with ACE, you are urged to make hotel reservations sooner than later. The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa is offering a special group room rate of $149. Keep in mind that the resort fee is optional.
The special rate is available until July 2, subject to availability, but AMS organizers say it is much easier to cancel a reservation than to find another room. For those who use points, Westin’s Starwood Preferred Guest program is now being linked with the Marriott Rewards Program, but you have to link your accounts online.
- We all appreciate updates from colleagues near and far. If you have news to share with peers in ACE let us know. Are you retiring, moving on to a new location, or did you get a big promotion? As space allows, we would like to include some of your news in our monthly ACE Updates. If you have information to share with your ACE colleagues, just let Holly know at email@example.com and we’ll spread the word.
Here are recordings of recent webinars you might be interested in.
ACE Publishing and Graphic Design Learning Community Webinar: "Developing for the User: Usability, Accessibility and Inclusion," by Dr. Zayira Jordan, Iowa State University's Web Accessibility Coordinator.
"Salvaging Bad Photos with Photoshop (Part 1)," by Victor Villegas, ACE Professional Development Director
"Salvaging Bad Photos with Photoshop (Part 2)," by Victor Villegas, ACE Professional Development Director
The National Extension Web-mapping Tool (NEWT), by Shane Brandt & John McGee
ACE Facebook Page
Follow the ACE Facebook page for more professional development content.This was our most popular post on our Facebook page in February:
How to Dramatically Improve Your Public Speaking Skills, by Jason Shen
Copyright © 2018 Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences. All rights reserved.